Thursday 1 November 2012

How Bournemouth took me by surprise


I went to the English seaside resort of Bournemouth expecting to like it, because someone who knows me very well (I dare say - best), said I would. On the other hand, I was thinking, I'm not really into these semi-big towns (or maybe yet-to-be cities) that much. Residential, boring, with no heritage built upon past centuries' prosperity and turmoil, they lack that feel of both dignity and coolness which is characteristic of most old European cities...

Well, the very special person who waited for me in Bournemouth was right. I enjoyed it very much. Not only because I was spending my time there with someone who is THE company for any of my successful trips long or short, but also because the Bournemouth and Poole area has indeed much to offer. 
***
Jadąc do Bournemouth - nadmorskiego kurortu w południowej Anglii - spodziewałam się, że je polubię, bo ktoś kto zna mnie bardzo dobrze (śmię twierdzić, że najlepiej),tak mnie zapewniał. Z drugiej strony myślałam sobie, że nie bardzo lubię takie średnio duże miasta, które są z reguły nudne i pozbawione szlachetnej patyny czasu, charakterystycznej dla większości starych europejskich miejscowości.

A jednak bardzo ważna osoba, która czekała na mnie w Bournemouth, miała rację. Podobało mi się tam bardzo. I to nie tylko dlatego, że czas spędzałam w towarzystwie kogoś, z kim wszystkie moje wycieczki, dłuższe i krótsze, są udane. Także dlatego, że okolica Bournemouth i Poole ma rzeczywiście wiele do zaoferowania. 


So, apart from my deeply personal reasons, I loved Bournemouth this autumn because of:
***
Tak więc, abstrahując od tematów osobistych, Bournemouth tej jesieni przypadło mi do serca ze względu na:

1. its coastal beauty / piękne wybrzeże
Although it is not the Polish Baltic sea coast which to me will always remain the most beautiful, it is trully breathtaking with its sandy beaches and steep cliffs.
Chociaż nie jest to polskie morze, które dla mnie zawsze pozostanie najpiękniejsze, piaszczsyte plaże i strome klify są tutaj zachwycające.



2. the Lower, Middle and Upper Gardens of Bournemouth / Dolne,Środkowe i Górne Ogrody
Although they have no Botanics as such in Bournemouth, this long narrow park that stretches up for a few miles beginning at the section leading from the town pier serves a similar function. It's rich in various species of plants, it's peaceful, it's tastefully laid out. I spotted autumn in action there.
Nie mają w Bournemouth ogrodu botanicznego, ale ten wąski długi na kilka mil park, który rozciąga się prawie od samego wejścia na molo, pełni podobną funkcję. Ogrody są zaciszne, pięknie rozplanowane i mają dużą różnorodność gatunkową. Przyłapałam tu jesień na gorącym uczynku.



3. white cliffs / białe klify
What can I say? Crumbly. Milky. Dramatic.
Co tu dużo mówić. Mlecznobiała kruchość i dramatyzm pejzażu.



4. the mad squirrels of Bournemouth / szalone wiewiórki z Bournemouth
Never in my life have I seen squirrels from such a close distance! They were bold, cheeky and totally crazy.
Nigdy w życiu nie oglądałam wiewiórek z tak bliska. Te tutejsze są śmiałe, bezczelne i kompletnie świrnięte.



5. the Shelleys / związki z autorką 'Frankensteina'
History? Here we are: Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein (a masterpiece, precisely the first [1818] edition, mind you!), her notable mum and dad and a brilliant Romantic poet, her husband, are all buried here (well, as to Percy apparently it's his heart only...). For a literary geek like myself this was a real big deal.
Historia? Proszę bardzo. Jest tutaj pochowana pisarka Mary Shelley (jeśli 'Frankenstein', to tylko wersja w pierwszej edycji z 1818 roku!) oraz jej znakomici matkaojciec oraz mąż, wybitny poeta romantyczny (a ściślej - jego serce się tu znajduje). Dla takiego gika książkowego jak ja, to było coś.



6. beach huts / domki plażowe
How lovely they are! And they are everywhere. I've never seen such huts before, but I remember that this decadent Edna (a character I always wanted to slap) had one.
Całe ich mnóstwo. A jakie cudne! Nigdy wcześniej takich nie widziałam, ale pamiętam, że ta dekadencka Edna (bohaterka, któą zawsze miałam ochotę kopnąć w tyłek) taki miała.




7. palm trees / palmy
I know, I know. Microclimate, warm currents and so on. Still, they cheered me up every time I saw them.
Wiem, wiem: mikroklimat, ciepłe prądy itd. A jednak za każdym razem kiedy je widziałam, cieszyłam się jak dziecko.

I

If by any chance you happen to come here, these are also worth checking out:
- the Russell-Cotes museum if you want a not-at-all-boring gallery
- V Club if you want a great night out
- Charminster if you want a Middle Eastern cuisine experience
- Chaplin's if you want a cool bar
***
Jeśli przypadkiem będziecie kiedyś w Bournemouth, to warto sprawdzić:
- wcale-nie-nudne muzeum Russell-Cotes Museum
- dobra zabawa w klubie V Club
- pyszne bliskowschodnie jedzenie w dzielnicy Charminster
- fajny bar Chaplin's



No comments:

Post a Comment